Frank Russell Campground, set near the picturesque Mark Twain Lake, has a location near the dam, providing campers with easy access to the lake, river and surrounding attractions. The campground also features an amphitheater with weekly events in the summer.
The lake’s namesake and legendary author and humorist, Mark Twain, was born in a town beside the lake.
Mark Twain Lake is sourced by the Salt River in northeast Missouri. The Clarence Cannon Dam sits on the eastern edge of the lake, providing flood control and hydroelectricity to the region.
Mark Twain Lake offers two trail systems: Lick Creek and Joanna Trail. Users include hikers, bikers, equestrian riders, backpack campers, birders and hunters. Lick Creek Trail – An 8-mile multipurpose trail located off Route J across from the Ray Behrens entrance extending to the Duane Wheeland Recreation Area. Joanna Trail – A multipurpose trail containing three loops: Prairie Loop (4 miles), Log Cabin Loop (11 miles), and Pioneer Loop (5 miles), all of which comprise a 32-mile scenic trail with trailheads at the John F. Spalding Boat Ramp entrance and Hunter/Fisherman 11 and 1 .
Frank Russell equine side has seven sites with paved pads. Each site has a picnic table, fire grill, and electric hookup and pipe hitch post. The covered stalls are first come first serve. Very nice horse camp and good trail system updated in 2016 with a gov. grant. Reservation Phone: 877-444-6777 (Total of 0 sites)
Campfire programs are provided every Saturday from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Frank Russell State Park Address:
20642 HIGHWAY J
MONROE CITY MO 63456-9359
Website Link: Frank Russell State Park
What To Expect
- Riders can find various views and terrain, ranging from easy to rugged rugged riding.
- Trails pass through forested areas, across meadows, and in view of and near Mark Twain Lake.
- Expect to see wildlife if not making too much noise. Scenery and trail surfaces are varied.
- It is recommended horses be shod for a weekend of riding.
- There are seven equestrian friendly camp sites, complete with electricity, shared water, table, grill and lantern hanger at each site; dump station available close by.
- Ten horse stalls are available on first come basis, and hitch posts are at each site, if the stalls are full.
- Restroom, fishing pond, pavilion and fire ring are nearby.